The most common reason for difficulty collecting blood samples is dehydration. Dehydration causes the blood to thicken and clot before you are able collect enough for a sample. We encourage you to drink plenty of water throughout the fasting and testing process.
Here are a few things you can do to quickly improve blood flow:
- Shake your hand gently at your side
- Massage your palm
- Massage your arm from your elbow to your wrist
- Using your blood sample hand, motion as if you were throwing an an imaginary frisbee
- Wash your hands for a full minute in the warmest water you can tolerate, rubbing your hands together
- Sometimes using the alternate hand for testing will garner better results
- Remember to prick your finger slightly offset from your fingertip to get the most blood flowing
If you feel like you can’t get enough blood from your finger, you could start over using one of the extra lancets in your kit.